Today I am sharing a recipe for the BEST lava cakes! Don’t be skeptical about making these, they are simple, and delicious. Make sure to top yours off with ice cream!
Do not worry, the ‘lava’ that comes from the middle of the cake is safe to eat. The bacteria from the eggs and flour gets killed, but not cooked. These are baked at a high temperature for a short amount of time, because you want a cakey and cooked exterior, with a lava center.
Here are some tips that may be handy before making these:
- I would highly recommend using (four) ramekins to make these. If you don’t have ramekins, you can use a greased muffin pan instead.
- Use high quality chocolate. I use the Ghiradelli brand. You will need a total of six ounces of chocolate for this recipe, which is equilvalent to one and a half bars.
- Serve these immediatly. If you leave them out to cool for too long, the center will continue to cook, so you won’t have that lava center.
- Six ounces of bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 eggs + 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large microwavable bowl, melt together the butter and chocolate, at 15 second intervals, stirring in between each one.
- Set aside. With an electric hand mixer, mix the eggs on medium-high speed for about 2-4 minutes or until they are paler in color and have soft peaks. Add the chocolate mixture into it in three additions. Gently fold but do not whisk. Once all that is combined, add the vanilla, flour, and salt. Them divide between the four (prepared!) ramekins and bake for 10 minutes.
- Flip them, and enjoy with a scoop of ice cream!