Are you the type of person who is not able to bake cookies because the dough can’t even make it to the oven? Surprisingly a large amount of people I know prefer eating the dough, instead of the baked product. I prefer both, but I love eating cookie dough reassured that it is safe to eat. In that case, I came up with this recipe that heat treats the flour and contains no eggs, that tastes just like the cookie dough used to bake cookies!
This recipe heat treats the flour so it is 100% edible. It also has no eggs, so you don’t get salmonella. Salmonella is a sickness you can get from unpasteurized eggs, and raw flour. To avoid that, today I have a recipe that you can eat straight out of the bowl, worry-free.
Favorite ways to enjoy this cookie dough:
- Eating by the spoon (which I will admit I had done)
- Scooped onto an ice cream cone
- I experimented adding a few tablespoons to a ramekin, then microwaving it for 30 seconds. It was just like a chocolate chip cookie! This dough will bake a good dozen of cookies, but they wouldn’t be as great as other recipes.
Tips for this cookie dough:
- Add the sugar to the butter when it is still warm. This will slightly melt your sugar, so you can avoid gritty dough. In addition, don’t skip the microwaving step! You don’t want any sugar granules in it!
- Cool the flour completely. I made this mistake the first time and it didn’t combine well with the other ingredients. To speed up this process, let it sit in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- If you would like some more flavor, use browned butter instead! See my recipe.
- This recipe makes about a container full of dough. You can half or double it to your liking! This recipe is actually very flexible because it isn’t being baked, so the science part isn’t necessary!
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons of half melted butter, still warm
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1-3 tablespoons of milk (more if needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/3 cup of chocolate chips (semi-sweet, mini, milk, dark, whatever works for you!)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the flour on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 6 minutes to kill bacteria. Let the flour cool completely.
- Add the warm half melted butter, sugar, and salt to a large mixing bowl. Beat on low until combined. If your bowl is microwave safe feel free to microwave the mixture for 10 seconds to melt the sugar, to avoid gritty dough. This is optional. Add the milk.
- Add the about 3/4 of the flour and chocolate chips and fold until combined. You can add more milk or more flour if needed.