If you know me, I am in love with red velvet desserts! The only problem is that the good red velvet cupcake recipes always ask for buttermilk or cake flour, and they take a pretty long time to make. I am always craving something red velvet, so I completely from scratch made up this recipe, that can satisfy my cravings in 2 minutes.
A mug cake is basically a smaller cake recipe, that you bake in a mug. It is single serving, and is just like a real slice of cake! You can also check out my vanilla mug cake recipe if you aren’t a fan of red velvet. I tried to film a video for this recipe, but then I literally forgot mid way during filming each step. I only captured myself mixing the dry ingredients!
I made these in these little adorable ramekins. You can choose to make the batter in a bowl, then divide them, or make one big one in a medium mug.
3 tablespoons + 1/2 teaspoon of flour
1/2 teaspoon of white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoon of cocoa powder
2 1/2 tablespoons of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons of milk
1 1/4 tablespoon of oil
1 teaspoon (start out with a few drops) of red food coloring
- In a small separate bowl whisk together the vinegar and milk. Set aside.
- In a mug, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt until combined.
- Add in the milk and oil and mix until combined. Make sure all the flour is mixed in from the bottom of the mug (or you’ll end up with clumps of baked flour, ew).
- Add in the food coloring and mix.
- Microwave for 1 minute, or until set. You may have to add more time depending on your microwave.
- Enjoy! You can eat it warm, or you can let it cool and top with cream cheese frosting!
I hope you enjoyed today’s post! Have a nice day and stay strong xoxo 😀