This post is published on my cousin, Brandon’s birthday! Happy 12th Brandon! 🙂 Have you ever heard of a Crazy Cake? It is also known as Wacky Cake, and it was invented during the Great Depression. It is called “Crazy Cake” because it contains no eggs, butter, or milk! I thought today would be a great time to share this recipe because now is not a great time to take a last minute trip to the store, so if you are desparate of making something, but don’t have any of those following ingredients, you can make this cake!
The moisture from this cake comes from the water and vinegar. Even though this recipe is only one bowl, and lacks ingredients, I promise this cake is super moist, and you would never even tell that it doesn’t have milk, butter, or eggs in it! This cake is also make in a small pan so it will probably be gone soon after you make it! If you want this to make a two layer cake, double the cake recipe and triple the frosting recipe :).
The frosting I have provided along with this recipe is my chocolate buttercream frosting, lowered in amount to fit this small cake. Because this cake is butter free, if you want the frosting to be butter free also, you can use a chocolate glaze.
1 1/2 cups of flour
1/3 cup of cocoa powder
1 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 teaspoons of white vinegar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/3 cup of canola oil
1 cup of water
7 tablespoons of butter, softened
1 2/3 cups of powdered sugar
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla
1/8 teaspoon of salt
3-4 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- For the cake: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Make a dome in the center of the mixture and pour into the dome the vanilla extract, vinegar, oil, and water. Whisk the wet ingredients in the dome together, then fold it into the dry ingredients until it forms a nice batter.
- Pour into a prepared, greased 8×8 baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until set.
- For the frosting: Cream together the butter and the salt on high speed, for about a minute. Scrape down the sides and gradually add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder on low speed. Occasionally scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat on high for another minute. On low speed, add the heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract until combined. For a thinner frosting, add more teaspoons of heavy whipping cream until you have a desirable consistency.
- I would recommend keeping this cake in it’s pan. You can use a square or circle pan. Spread the icing over the cooled cake and let it set. Cut into even slices and enjoy!
If you make this, please let me know how it turns out! Comment with any questions, I love hearing from you!
4 thoughts on “Crazy Cake Recipe”
Wow I would never guess that there would be a cake recipe with vinegar in it!!! It looks beautiful and tasty!
Thank you! 😘 yes thankfully it’s only about a teaspoon of vinegar, or else that would not be good 😂
I tried them out.. they were amzinggggg! Your recipes are just amazingggg! Congrats on the follows
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much, I’m so happy you liked it!
LikeLiked by 1 person