Today, I’m sharing a savory recipe instead of a sweet one. I originally found an egg noodle recipe on Sugar Spun Run (you have to check out her blog, it’s awesome!), and with a couple changes, I came up with a perfect noodle recipe. This recipe does not require a pasta machine, and has only 4 ingredients: flour, eggs, water, and salt (for taste).
I’m reposting this recipe from almost 8 months ago! I made some changes to make it better 🙂
How do I make these egg noodles?
Making these noodles requires no experience. You just need a little strength when rolling out the dough. First, you whisk the flour and salt together, and then after making a dome, you add the eggs and water. You mix it up, let it rest, roll it out, cut, and boil! In about an hour, you will have show-stopping noodles!
Can I make these ahead of time and store them?
I would recommend to cook these right away after cutting. You could also make them ahead of time, let them sit on a towel to dry out, and cook another time. They will take longer to cook, and you should let them sit for a maximum of 2 days (to avoid mold, etc.) I haven’t tried that yet so I would personally prefer making them, and then cooking them right away. These noodles are fool-proof. If the dough is too sticky, you add some more flour, and if it is too dry, you add some more water.
What can I use these noodles for?
You can technically use these in any recipe that calls for egg noodles. Egg noodles are quite similar to regular noodles; they just have a bit more egg and flavor. I would recommend eating these with some chicken soup, or with butter, paremsan, and pepper.
This recipe makes about 4 servings (1 1/2 cup of noodles each). This recipe works for a meal for a family of 4 or 5.
2 cups of flour (plus more for dusting and additional dryness)
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of water (plus more in case the dough is too dry)
- Whisk together the flour and the salt in a large mixing bowl. Make a dome in the middle of it.
- Whisk together the eggs in a small bowl. Then add the the dome along with the water.
- Gently fold the ingredients together until it forms a nice dough. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour, about a tablespoon at a time. It the dough it too dry, add water about one teaspoon at a time. The dough should resemble playdough that is harder to break apart, and should be slightly tacky.
- Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes on a lightly floured surface.
- Place the dough back into the bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let sit for 20 minutes. This helps the glluten develop.
- Cut the dough into 4ths, Roll out the dough to be very thin, about an 16th of an inch. Cut into strips with a pizza cutter or a butter knife. The strips should be about 6 inches tall and 1 centimeter wide. See my photo above.
- Boil for about 4-5 minutes or until tender to bite. Serve with your desired toppings! Enjoy!
What did you think? Comment below with any questions, or really anything!
3 thoughts on “Homemade pasta recipe (4 ingredients and super simple)”
Wow that’s amazing annabel! You sure must be strong to roll out that dough! ❤️
Great job Annabel! I’m going to try this recipe!
Thanks! I’m currently trying to add a rating box to my posts but for now, if you make them, comment how they turned out! 🙂