I have so much to talk about with today’s recipe, but for now all I can say is these are the BEST cookies I make. I have never been a fan of chocolate chip cookies. Writing my “best chocolate chip cookie” post kind of made me feel a bit sick. They were named the best by my mom and dad, I was never a fan of them, or any chocolate chip cookie. However, these made a huge convert out of me.
You may ask, “why are they so good?” Well it is the brown butter. In this recipe, you slowly cook the butter to cook the milk solids. It will be a light brown color, and gives these cookies an amazing caramelized flavor. It may sound intimidating at first, but I recently published a post on how to brown butter, you can read about that if you haven’t done it before! 🙂
These cookies are topped off with some flaky sea salt. That gives it an even better flavor. Also these cookies taste best with dark, or bittersweet chocolate chips to cut the sweetness, but you can certainly use any other type you would like.
- 3/4 cup of brown butter, cooled to room temperature
- 1 cup of packed brown sugar*
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1/4 cup of white sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of fine salt
- 1 1/2 cups of chocolate, chopped.
- 2 teaspoons of flaky sea salt for topping.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Mix together the cooled brown butter, and sugars in a large bowl. Once combined, add the egg and vanilla. After that is combined, add the egg yolk. Whisk for about 2 minutes, or 1 minute on high.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Fold half way, then add the chocolate chips. Once combined, cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Roll balls out to desired size, at least three inches apart on each baking sheet. Baked for 10-12 minutes or until there are light golden brown edges.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and enjoy!