My sweet baby sister is three today! I can hardly believe it! This year when I asked her what dessert she wanted for her birthday, she insisted on chocolate cupcakes. She hates carbs, and vanilla cake, but loves chocolate cake. I made my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe with a rich and creamy buttercream. Today I am sharing that recipe! *not mine, but recipe stated in own words*
I’m not going to talk a lot in this post because the recipe is not mine. I just wanted to share it, and spread the news that my baby sister is a kid now. Not a baby. Ugh I cannot believe it. My birthday is actually coming up in two days. When she was born, she was brought home from the hospital on my birthday, which was the sweetest birthday present ever.
Right now she is watching “Word Party” on my phone and giggling to it. Her laughter brings so much joy to me, even though she can (sometimes) be annoying. Happy Birthday Laurel! I love you!
2 cups of regular sugar
1 3/4 + 2 tablespoons of flour
3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup of oil
1 cup of milk
2 teaspoons of vanilla
1 cup of hot water
1 1/2 cup of butter at room temperature
4 cups of powdered sugar
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of cocoa powder (modified to liking)
1 tsp vanilla
3-5 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream
- Preheat your oven to 350F and line two muffins tins with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until combined.
- Stir in the canola oil and milk, until just combined.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Add the hot water and stir until combined. Be careful, the water may splash. The batter will be very thin, do not panic.
- Fill the muffin tins evenly and bake for 17-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool while you make the frosting.
- In a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter for 3-4 minutes or until lighter in color. Add the cocoa powder, and on low speed, mix until combined. You may have to scrape down the sides. Then add the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time (to avoid explosions). Then add the vanilla, salt, and heavy whipping cream and mix on high speed for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes and enjoy!
A few chocolate photos for Laurel:
Happy Birthday Laurel! (and thank you for the birthday messages, and all the likes I got on this post!)
2 thoughts on “Laurel is 3! (+ chocolate cupcake recipe!)”
Aw Annabel so sweet how you remember Laurel’s coming home on your birthday as the best bday present! Love your pics and miss my nieces so much and am sad to not celebrate with you on your actual birthdays! Love you!!!
Thank you, I miss you too, so much! 💕