Today I am showing you guys how to make the BEST strawberry frosting, 2 different ways! You can make this frosting like a buttercream, or a less sweet, cream cheese frosting. Either way, this frosting is flavored with real freeze dried strawberries. I love making frostings, but this type is my favorite to make, mostly because I get to taste test it ;).
What this frosting pairs well with:
- Vanilla cupcakes/cake
- Strawberry cupcakes/cake (pictured above)
- Marble cupcakes/cake (neapolitan)
- Soft Sugar Cookies (see my recipe!)
- Simply eating by the spoonful
This frosting will generously frost 12 cupcakes, and half the recipe, then add it to the whole one to frost a 2 layer 8-9 inch cake.
- 1 cup of butter, softened to room temperature OR 8 oz brick of cream cheese + 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, softened.
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of very fine salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 cup of freeze dried strawberries
- 1 tablespoon of heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon of very fine salt
- *Optional* 1 drop of pink/red food coloring
- Pulverize the freeze dried strawberries to be a very fine powder.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer, cream together the 1 cup of butter, and salt OR cream cheese, salt, and butter until light and creamy, about one minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. The mixture may not come together at first, but just keep mixing! Add the pulverized freeze dried strawberries through a sifter. Mix on medium until combined. Add the heavy cream, vanilla, and coloring. Beat on high for 30 seconds.
Thanks so much for reading! I hope you all love this frosting!