In the last almost 13 years of my life, I have not met anyone that doesn’t like oreos. Who doesn’t? The chocolate cookie and the sweet creme is a match made in heaven. I am not a fan of frosting, but I’ll quickly lick off the tops of cupcakes with this one.
All you need to make this is butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream, salt, and oreos. This frosting isn’t just a buttercream with added oreo crumbs, you melt the cream from the oreos and swirl it into the frosting. The frosting actually tastes like a creamy oreo!
This oreo frosting goes best with:
- Chocolate cupcakes
- Vanilla cupcakes
- Red velvet cupcakes
- Marble cupcakes
- This can top soft sugar cookies!
- And any other combination! If you were Laurel you would eat this with a cheesestick, but this recipe goes best with what I listed above.)
When I used a star piping tip, I found that some of the oreo pieces got stuck. Instead of using a tip, I would simply cut a hole at the bottom of the piping bag instead. Also, make sure your oreo crumbs are finely crushed, like a powder.
1 cup of butter, softened to room temperature
3 cups of powdered sugar
2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream
Small pinch of salt
- Separate the cookie part and the cream of your 12 oreos. Take the cream from 6 of them and microwave it for about 15 seconds, or until melted. Set aside.
- Crush the 12 cookies (6 will not have filling) until finely crushed. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and 1 cup of the powdered sugar on medium-low speed until combined. Add the oreo cream mixture and mix till combined.
- Add another cup of the powdered sugar. After combined, add the heavy cream. After the heavy cream is mixed in, add the rest of the sugar. Then add the salt.
- Mix in the oreo crumbs until combined. Pipe onto your cupcakes or use to frost a cake. This will generously frost 12 cupcakes, and modestly frost a 2 layer cake.
Enjoy! If you make this, comment below and let me know how it turns out!